Monday, September 17, 2012

LEO assignment

Most of the time, when I have to do grammar exercise or when I have to write essays, I usually confuse certain words such as a lot, few and less, much and many. Normally, I go to the Write Place so people who work there can help me correct these mistakes. But now, after reading the Leo webpage, I understand how to use those words better.

First of all, I will talk about the word "A Lot".
_ The word a lot must be written as two words.
_ According to the Leo webpage (1), a lot has the same meaning as both many and much and can be interchanged with either one.
_ A lot is followed by of when the meaning is general or by of the when the meaning is specific.
_ Examples:
- A lot of students showed up in class today. (general meaning)
- A lot of the students in class today disagree with my opinion. (specific meaning).
_ A lot can be used to end a sentence.
_ Examples:
- He cheats a lot.
- I eat a lot.

Secondly, international students like me can easily confuse between few and less, much and many. According to the Leo webpage (2), "few" is used with count nouns while "less" is used with noncount nouns. "Many" is used with count nouns while "much" is used with noncount nouns.
_ Examples:

Few and less:
-Few (count/ plural):
          1) Few teachers are not very nice with students.
          2) Few students are opting to study science-related subjects.
-Less (noncount/ singular):
          1) People want to spend less time in traffic jams.
          2) It is a better job but they pay you less money.

Many and much:
-Many (count/plural):
          1) Many students in SCSU are business major.
          2) Many professors in SCSU are very nice, especially professor Roland Specht Jarvis.
-Much (noncount/singular): much talk is, much controversy is, much fun is.
          1) I don't have that much money.
          2) I spend too much time on Facebook.

Sources:
(1) http://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/muchfew.html#alot; acessed 9-17-2012
(2) same source as (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment